Please forward them this opening:
Chief Scientist, Cyber Security Research
Location: Richland, Washington
http://jobs.pnl.gov/ Job ID: 300553
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is searching for a Chief Scientist to provide research leadership for emerging key elements within our Cyber Security portfolio. The goal of this portfolio (both initiatives and client driven research) is to extend PNNL's R&D capability to enhance the science of complex cyber-dependent infrastructures, supporting adaptive systems, enhancing attribution capability, and utilizing cyber analytic techniques. Large scale infrastructures are subject to change of many kinds: change in the type of attacks which are launched, newly discovered (or newly introduced) vulnerabilities, and modifications to purpose. This results in a highly dynamic system that is not amenable to traditional testing or validation approaches. The approach is to consider change from a strategic and tactical perspective, and support the design of systems capable of maintaining their integrity through automated or semi-automated adaptations. The result will be to enable persistent time-critical cyber infrastructure.
Our S&T agenda is focused on:
- Data Intensive Cyber Fusion - real-time analysis of high-disparate data sets to support attribution ability to fuse traditional cyber sensor data with video, social, cultural, and economic indicators.
- Robust Control System Security - Management and measurement of trust relationships with exponentially growing distributed control environment, while maintaining integrity of transactions and interoperability between devices.
- Continuity of Cyber Operations - enable the survivability of time-critical infrastructure in order to achieve mission objectives through capabilities in situational awareness, forensics, resilience, and reparation.
- Autonomous Cooperative Defense machine speed analytics that can detect, assess, and provide cooperative tipping and cueing regarding cyber threats to address the speed, frequency and volume of cyber attacks.
In addition to providing research leadership, the Chief Scientist will lead research, projects and proposals within our growing Cyber Security capability base. The Scientist will work with our other senior scientists, research leaders and management in developing strategies for advancing research within the National Security Directorate, lead proposal development, deliver new technologies and capabilities, and interact with key clients. Successful candidates would also be responsible for leading the transition of these concepts to be deployed within the national/international community.
- There will be a review of a candidate's academic and research credentials by an appropriate peer committee before an offer can be extended.
- Technical contributions must be recognized as having a substantial impact on advancing the current state of knowledge and understanding in scientific or technical disciplines. Demonstrated track record in devising innovative cyber security solutions and transitioning that research to industrial and/or government clients.
- Experience in technical leadership for software/hardware research and development.
- Demonstrated leadership, networking, organizational, negotiating, communications, and mentoring skills, coupled with the desire and ability to interact with clients, prepare successful research proposals, and define future research directions.
- An extensive publication record is required, as is a demonstrated track record of successful research proposals and/or industrial technology transfer.
- The ability to represent the Laboratory at national and international events is expected.
- Scientist Level V: Ph.D. with 5+ years of experience is required. Must be a national or international authority and be applying intensive and diversified knowledge of scientific or engineering principles in broad areas of assignments and related fields. Must have a widely recognized national or international reputation, proven research track record including demonstrated funding history.
Jill Schroeder, Senior Recruiter, National Security Div.
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory